About this example
A new recruit is taken on tour of a spaceship, with the ability to navigate between four rooms, examine items within the rooms, suggest pertinent actions. The four rooms are Control Room, Kitchen-Armoury, Bunkroom, and Arboretum. This chatbot is structured as a looping Finite State Machine with states (rooms) and transitions (forward/back), and introduces more elaborate phrasing.
Techniques to look out for
- Wildcards with complex phrasing, a delicate balance game [2.3] [2.9]
- Dynamic phrase labels [5.3]
- Output borrowing to replace repeated input clusters [5.5]
- Unhandled Gotos [5.2]
- Self-referencing phrases [2.3]
- Compare different types of input
- Generic inputs (in_why)
- State-generic inputs (in_where)
- State-specific inputs (in_r#_…)
Suggested scripting practice
- Invent new items to examine or room-relevant actions (perhaps misbehaviour blocks access to a certain room, or clever behaviour opens up a new room).